Thursday 28 October 2010

University, gigs & friends.

"OH MY FUCKING GOD, ARE YOU KIDDING ME BIRMINGHAM?"

Corey Taylor. A God. The voice of this man can elate me to new highs, and bring me down to new lows. The first time I saw him was over a year ago. Download Festival, Donington Park. June 2009. Back then I didn't really think much to Slipknot, and barely knew who Stone Sour are. A year later, same place, Slipknot is one of my favorite bands and I have high expectations to see Corey perform with his brothers in Stone Sour. Although, a couple of weeks before, the beloved Paul Gray had sadly passed away.

Corey came on stage, with his positive attitude and blew the crowd away. The crowd was chanting "Corey! Corey! Corey!", and he became the centre of attention for the entire weekend. Then of course, he had to deal with the terrible business of dealing with his best friend's death, just a couple of weeks before the show. He disappeared of stage for a couple of minutes and stumbled back, tears in his eyes and sang "Bother". See below:



But tonight wasn't about Paul Gray. It wasn't even about Corey. It was about Stone Sour. And my God, were they amazing. Before they came on stage, the speakers blared out the theme from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Lights go BOOM and then what happens? Mission Statement. After an amazing set, including the Acoustic "Bother" (I think I saw Corey Wipe away a few tears, but there was nothing said about the loss of his brother), Corey Ripping off his shirt and his usual "OH MY FUCKING GOD!" speech, they finished the set with a brilliantly played "30/30 150".

Before Stone Sour however, were Avenged Sevenfold. Who as I'm sure you all know, lost Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan last December. They DID have a few things to say about the loss of a friend: Along with a large backdrop of the Rev, they sang a couple of slow songs, and then promptly changed the backdrop to something more uplifting and finished the show with Bat Country. [I would write in more detail about Avenged, but I'm afraid of getting shit wrong, as I'm not overly-familiar with the band, as I've only recently gotten into them]

Also, Hellyeah were there. Did I like them? Hell No.

After the gig, I met up with the AMAZING Charli Jackson. The goddess from the place with tractors, fields and rain. After a long, loving and kind embrace, we exchanged Cds and stood chatting in the cold for half an hour before I needed to leave for the train home. I miss my Download friends a stupid amount...

MOVING ON!!

University.

Well, before I came here I was told that dorms will be the best year, of the best three years of my life. So far, I'm inclined to agree. The freedom from home that I detailed in my last blog hasn't changed much, and I can sense an even more mature side of me fast approaching - the management of money. I've got none soon, and I'm learning from it. :P I can't afford pointless shit all the time. I need to save save save. Atm, I have only a few £ to my name. And I'm reluctant to ask for money from home, even though I see others getting some from home, I just don't want to be the guy that always asks, y'know? I wanna give something back. In a few years I'll have a degree and a hopefully a good job. That will be amazing.

My course so far has been a bit of a roller-coaster ride. Some lessons I just DON'T understand, others I do. The ones I don't understand are now becoming much more clear which is good, and I suppose that makes sense. There's a lot to be learned. And I'm open to it.

My favourite lesson so far, however, HAS to be CISCO. It's something I enjoy, desperately want to learn more about and of course - my lecturer is a God. No. More than a God. His necklace is a CPU (1.8 Intel for all you nerds), he's stupidly tall, has a beard with a pony tail and his hair is down to below his shoulder-blades. Oh! And he carries a lightsaber around with him at all times.

On my course, I've befriended two very pleasant young gentlemen, who I think I'll be very good friends with by the end of the year. Daniel is the guy that knows his shit about electronics, and he helps me and Ben with it quite well. :P

As for my flatmates, they've requested I write a paragraph about each of them, so here goes:

Josh: Well, where to start? He's a really good guy. He knows how to have a good time, but he can be mellow and happy, as well as loud and happy. Both of them, strangely suit him. Which is weird in a way. Normally people are loud or quiet. He's a nice middle ground.

Arron: I'd like to think he's the most mature guy in our flat. He's a good cook, a great friend and someone who you just know will always be around when you need him.

Eddy: More like me than I originally thought. Even though he has a Mac, he's a nerd, gamer, geek and into (mostly) good music. Also, spends almost as much time as me in his room watching TV shows as me. :P

Aaron: Well, I've really got to take my hat off to this geezer. Yes, he's a "Lad". But he's actually more intelligent than I first thought. A prime example of never judge a book by it's cover. And when he has a problem with someone, he doesn't take the violent shouting approach that you might think he would when you first meet him. He's actually calm, collected and rational. He's growing/has grown on me substantially.

Dave: Another "Lad", but when he's not drinking, actually he's really quiet and down to Earth. Although he's got a problem with getting into trouble on a night out. :P

Right, that's the flatmates out of the way!

I had a very interesting debate on Facebook the other day regarding the new government scheme regarding them being allowed to read through our private messages, I reckon that's worth a read to anyone interested in politics of any kind. Link:

http://www.facebook.com/Spudguy/posts/165502450144439

I'm going to be coming back to Morrisons for 2 weeks over Christmas btw guys! I hope that's good news to someone. :P I look forward to seeing everyone from work (I'd list names but I don't want to miss anyone out and upset them <3)

Really mixed opinions on going back to Fakers though. S'pose seeing family would be acceptable, and I can't wait to see all my homeboys again. But something about that place, I just hate. :/

What would this post be without a Tribute to the almighty Steph? I spend almost all my time with her now, and she's just described me as "Smiley". I'm always smiling, apparently. I pointed out that she only sees me when I'm around her so that's prolly why, and she seemed to find that funny. Whore. :P - But seriously Steph, thanks for being Steph and not some boring lesbian woman. You're alright you are.

And then of course, the THREE MUSKETEERS! Me, Alex and Sam.

Alex is basically Karl Pilkington. With the most amazing comments just, constantly streaming out of him. He's an adorable, adorable idiot. I love him. <3

I also love Sam. It's rare to meet GENUINELY good people. And Sam is one of them (Along with a load of other people I know, admittedly). But there's something about Sam's manner, that just gives the aura of being good incarnate.

I can't wait to get a house with Sam, Alex and Steph next year. Shit will be SO CASH.

Spudguy out.

No comments:

Post a Comment